“In our minds, buying art is a lot like buying wine … buy what you like! Don’t be intimidated by labels, names or prices. We all have different tastes, and there is room for many different types of art … and wine. The really good stuff will stand the test of time!” - Ralph Serpe & Bryan Tate
Join us in YorkArts Gallery April 30 – May 23 for Art Memoir, featuring artwork from the collection of Bryan Tate and Ralph Serpe. Art Memoir makes up the part 2 of YorkArts Collecting Cultural Icons exhibit series which celebrates the role of the collector.
A special collector’s event for this exhibit will be held on May 20th in YorkArts gallery, during which the featured collectors will discuss their collection with the audience over light refreshments.
About the Collectors…
Ralph Serpe & Bryan Tate
We are very interested in collecting original art and supporting artists and their craft. Just like all members of our community, artists have a very important role to play, and we are compelled to support them. We are not only drawn to art that we find visually pleasing, but we seem to be especially drawn to art that tells a story. We appreciate when the artist has a connection to what he or she created or when we have a particular connection to the subject.
In our collection, there are two main themes:
- We generally know who the artists are and interact with them in our life someway. We are very fond of several artists in our community and we love their work. While a few of them are represented in our collection today, a few others will be incorporated in the future, and we look forward to that.
- We also tend to be drawn to art that is representative of our community, the City of York. We love York City, and we love collecting art that depicts things we love in York.
That combination of love of artist and love of subject is very much represented here.
In our minds, buying art is a lot like buying wine … buy what you like! Don’t be intimidated by labels, names or prices. We all have different tastes, and there is room for many different types of art … and wine. The really good stuff will stand the test of time!
On behalf of Art Collecting Month, YorkArts will be posting testimonials from these local art collectors throughout April. Visit our Collectors’ Testimonial Page
About YorkArts’ Collecting Cultural Icons Exhibits:
Every Spring, YorkArts celebrates the fundamental role of “The Collector” in the art world. The purpose of our exhibition series is to highlight local collectors and the artwork they’ve collected, as well as to inspire gallery visitors to start building collections of their own.
- Tuesdays: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Thursdays: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Saturdays: 10:00am-2:00pm
- First Fridays: 5:00pm-9:00pm
- (or by appointment)
- *gallery tours available by appointment